The future of food & ag is in Greater Sacramento
Greater Sacramento is where innovators are revolutionizing food and agriculture technology. Here, innovators have access to a strong supply chain, agricultural abundance – $2.25 billion total ag value – and the #1 agricultural sciences university in the nation, UC Davis. We’re proudly home to 3.36x the U.S. national average concentration of soil and plant scientists. With our talent and business climate, it’s no surprise that jobs within the industry here grew 10.6% last year.
- Cecilia Aguiar-Curry (Assemblymember, District 4, California State Assembly)
- Vanessa Castagna, PhD (Scientific Affairs Liaison, TurtleTree)
- Pamela Marrone, PhD (Founder & CEO, Marrone Bio Innovations)
- Chelsea Minor (Corporate Director, Consumer & Public Affairs, Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Inc.)
- Dr. Fatma Kaplan (Co-founder & CEO/CSO, Pheronym)
- Leanna Sweha (Program Director, AgStart)
- Mayra Vega (Mayor Pro Tempore, City of Woodland)
As mentioned during the program, AgStart recently opened a new facility featuring wet chemistry labs and coworking specs to serve food & ag innovators. Learn more about the space in the video below.
PowerSchool’s IPO in 2021 was the largest in K-12 education software in North America. The Folsom, CA-based company is a leading provider of global educational technology, impacting 45 million students around the world. Its 2021 IPO was the largest in K-12 education software in North America. The company is headquartered in Folsom, California and employs over 3,000.
California Cultured produces sustainable lab-grown chocolate. They got their start in the Bay Area but moved to GreaterSacramento to be closer to our talent pool, foodtech innovators and UC Davis. They’ve set up shop in Inventopia, an incubator in Davis featuring wet lab, coworking and engineering prototyping spaces.
The Better Meat Co. is a B2B producer of next-generation plant-based proteins for foodservice providers and meat processors. They’ve found success through their West Sacramento headquarters thanks to its proximity to tech and agriculture innovators in the Greater Sacramento region.